With all of the holidays, long weekends, and ample time for road trips over the summer, we know that you will most likely be on the road a lot. Not only will you be on the road, tons of other people will as well, many of them, not so great drivers. Defensive driving is always important, but now more so than ever with the extra time you’ll be spending on the road. Here’s a list of some defensive driving tricks to keep you safe on the road and help you get to wherever it is you’re going without any trouble:
• Minimize your distractions. Cell phones, music, food, or even other passengers are known distractions while on the road and studies have shown that this is the number one reason behind accidents and fatalities while driving. So, limit yourself when it comes to the distractions and make sure you’re doing the most important thing of all: paying attention to the road.
• While driving, instead of focusing on the car in front of you, focus on the road horizon. Keep your eyes up and look at the entire traffic pattern ahead and you’ll have ample time to react to an emergency in front of you.
• It’s much more common for accidents to happen while a car is changing lanes, rather than traveling the speed limit in it’s own lane. Choose one lane and stick with it and you’ll remove many of the risk factors that commonly cause accidents on the highway.
• Make sure you look both ways at intersections. Most drivers go right through green lights without a second thought, but that’s usually when the driver running the red smashes into the side of their car. Take a quick look both ways even before going through a green light and you’ll be sure to avoid any of those red light runners.
• Don’t follow too closely behind the car in front of you. Always be sure to give at least 2-3 seconds of buffer room and you’ll give yourself enough time to break if the car in front of you stops short.
While there are many great tips for defensive driving, these are a few of our favorites. And, of course, if you’re on the road, make sure that you are insured (it’s the law!). Visit our website at www.safeauto.com for a free quote today.