Summertime is the perfect time for travel…by car. There’s nothing like driving with the windows down, sunglasses on, and the music blasting, but before hitting the road this summer, there are several simple precautions you can take to keep your family safe and save money at the pump.
Extreme heat and long drives can be tough on cars. According to an article on howstuffworks.com, cracked hoses, leaky radiators, underinflated tires and dirty filters can significantly lower your fuel efficiency or even lead to a break down, so here are some tips to prevent that.
1. Check your tires: An under or over inflated, worn down, or misaligned tire can be very dangerous, especially in hot weather. So, make sure you do a good check before you take off on your trip. And of course, don’t forget to take a spare with you, just in case.
2. Change your oil and oil filter: Most owner’s manuals suggest that you change your oil ever 7,500 miles or every three months. Most people do some pretty heavy driving in the summer when the engine is most likely to overheat. So, make sure to check your oil before you head out on any road trips.
3. De-winterize your car: Get rid of snow tires, check your fluid levels, and clean the undercarriage of your car to transition from winter weather to the summer.
4. Replace windshield wipers: It tends to rain and thunderstorm a lot in the summertime. There’s nothing worse (or more dangerous) then being in your car and not being able to see because your windshield wipers are worn out. So, make sure to get a replacement before you start your summer driving.
5. Check your brakes: It’s imperative to have working brakes in your car (obviously). Check your brakes to make sure that they’re working properly and not work down. If you see any sign of trouble, replace the brakes stat!
While this is just a few of the many tips to get your car ready for summer, it’s definitely a great start. We always want our customers to be safe on the road, and following the tips on this list will help to ensure that you are. And of course, if you’re driving, you need insurance. To get a quote from the most affordable car insurance company around, visit www.safeauto.com/auto-insurance-quote