There’s a Norman Rockwell-ish image of mothers that portrays them as nurturing, steadfast, and selfless. But it’s important to remember that before they were mommies, they probably had a healthy dose of taste, elegance, and panache. So why force Mom to give all that up just because she cares for her offspring?
Here are a dozen choices of cars for 2013 that are perfect for the “mommy with style.”
- Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon – What? The words “sport” and “wagon” in the same sentence? Hey, it’s a Cadillac — which means it’s chock full of creature comforts for the hard-working mother. And with 67% of the cargo space of your average small SUV, Mom still has plenty of room for the groceries.
- Acura RSX Sport Wagon – There’s that apparent oxymoron again. But Acura’s sport wagon seats the entire family comfortably (along with their belongings), while maintaining a sleek and sporty look that can make Mommy look cool while driving.
- Hyundai Elantra GT – Think of this four-door hatchback as a vehicle with the roominess of a wagon but the handling and easy-to-park traits of a compact car. And with a low sticker price, Mom can still tout her “spendthrift” street cred while cruising through the school drop-off line.
- Subaru Impreza 2.0i AWD Hatchback – Where else can you get seating for five, storage space, electronic stability control, steering wheel audio controls, and Bluetooth capability for under 20 grand? It’s a multitasking mother’s dream! And its safety rating will save Mom money on auto insurance.
- Volkswagen Jetta Sportswagen – Yep — all of the pizzazz and style of a Jetta is now available in a sport wagon! Mom’s ride is tricked out with a whopping 32.8 cubic feet of cargo space, an improved navigation system, and a 3-year/36,000 mile free maintenance plan.
- Volkswagen Passat TDI – Or you could just lavish Mommy with luxury and power by buying her the Passat sedan instead. It’s okay; the turbo diesel’s 43 mpg highway rating makes it eminently practical.
- Toyota Prius Plus – Many moms prefer the economical, progressive, Mother Earth-loving Prius instead of something more presumptuous and flashy. It is hard to argue with gas mileage of 48 mpg in combined driving, a handy hatchback, and a competitive price.
- Toyota Camry Hybrid – You can also get Mom a sedan with a hybrid engine so she can have a tad more luxury while still protecting the environment. The Camry Hybrid is fashionable, economical, and lightweight — just like Mom is! (Dads – feel free to steal that line to earn brownie points.)
- Kia Optima – If Mommy likes to stand apart from the crowd, how about getting her an attractive sedan that isn’t cookie-cutter or roller-skatish? The sexy Optima has plush interior and easy handling, and it starts at under $20,000.
- Mini Cooper Countryman – Even Mommies like to make statements! (Though she may choose a different color scheme than the one above.) Now, she can have a cute, sporty Mini that has four doors to make it more “family-friendly.” Surprising interior room and solid gas mileage ratings are big pluses, too.
- Lexus IS 250C – Okay, before you say anything, a convertible can be a sensible vehicle for Mom. The back seat is bigger-than-expected, the trunk space is ample, and… Mom can’t complain about being “cooped up in a small space” anymore. There! See?
- BMW 3-Series Li – German engineering, unmatched luxury, and style dripping out of the wazoo. And yes, the 3-Series does include a wagon model. Forget practicality — when Mama’s happy, everybody’s happy.