5 Items to Keep in Your Car for Emergencies
Whether we realize it or not, we spend a lot of time in our cars and it’s imperative that we always have emergency essentials on hand, so we’re always prepared for the worst. Car troubles on the side of the road are not only time consuming and frustrating, but also dangerous.
There are many factors that can play a role in having car troubles, such as; how old the car is, the condition of the car, the make and model, and elements outside of our cars that can impact us. Thus, it’s essential to have car emergency kits in case the unexpected happens.
From your family at Safe Auto, here are our top five items to include in your car emergency kit list:
- Flares & Lighting. Flares and reflective triangles are essential to keep in your car in case you are on the side of the road with car troubles. This helps show other drivers on the road that there is a hazard around your car, which helps keep you safe from oncoming traffic.
- Jumper Cables. Car batteries can die on you anytime, and jumper cables can help give your car that jolt they need from another willing motorist to get you moving again. After your car is jumped, be sure to let it run by driving around for a while before turning your car off.
- First Aid Kit. A first aid kit is an essential to have with you in your car – especially if you are ever in an accident. Items such as medication, bandages, and ointments can help sterilize everyday injuries. A good rule of thumb before hitting the roadways is to know what medications to bring for your passengers as well as yourself and ensuring you have enough for an extended amount of time.
- Car Fluids. Items such as windshield fluid, tire inflator and sealant, motor oil, and coolant are important items to keep on hand in case of emergencies. Having these fluids in your car can be the difference between having to get towed or being back on the road if you experience any car trouble.
- Car Tools. Having tools such as a screwdriver, a spare tire, pliers, ice scraper, wrench, and a second pair of wiper blades are important to keep within your car. In case your car has an unforeseen issue, you will have the tools you need to get your car back in driving shape to make it to an auto body shop.
- Overall Necessities. Weather can be another cause for possible car breakdowns. Therefore, having items such as; snacks, blankets, water, and a sleeping bag can help you make it through situations that may force you to remain in your car.
Emergencies can happen anywhere, and it’s always better to be prepared than to be under-prepared. Your car is your main form of transportation, but sometimes it can breakdown. At the same time, you can also be driving and run into unforeseen issues that might cause you to seek shelter in them. Having an emergency kit for your car is a good way to keep your mind at ease while on the roadways.
As always, if you’re in the market for a new auto insurance quote give us a call today!