5 Ways to Prevent Car Theft
As drivers, we spend a lot of time in our cars and probably give very little thought to the possibility that they could get stolen. Unfortunately, the reality of car theft is unavoidable. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a car is stolen every 44 seconds in the United States.
Car thieves have become increasingly savvy to successfully breaking into even the most technologically advanced automobiles. The statistics speak volumes to the frequency of car break-ins that occur in America daily. So what can you do to ensure your car isn’t the next target? Primarily car theft protection starts with always knowing the whereabouts of your car. However, there are additional ways to protect your car from theft.
When it comes to car theft protection, SafeAuto has your back. Here is our list of ways to protect your car from theft:
- Keep track of your keys. Always have your car keys on you – never leave them in the vehicle. If you have a spare key and want to place it somewhere within or outside of the car for use in case of emergency – brainstorm other places to store them. Car thieves know exactly where to look for a possible spare key, so therefore it’s best to not keep them near the car.
- Be picky about parking. Depending on both the weather and time of day, try your best to park in well lit areas. Parking near the entrance of buildings and near other cars is a good way to deter car thieves from your automobile.
- Don’t leave your car running. A lot of vehicle theft occurs when drivers forget to turn off their cars when it’s not in use. Even if you are just making a stop somewhere and you don’t believe you’ll be away from your car too long, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Don’t leave valuables in your car. Although our car can become a ‘second home’ to our most valuable things when we’re constantly on the go – leaving them within eyesight in your vehicle is never a good idea. High-value items are eye catching to car thieves when left out in the open to car thieves.
- Keep your vehicle secured. When you park your car, make sure that it’s locked and secured before walking away. Although this might seem like a very basic rule of thumb to follow, we can easily forget to do this – especially in places where we feel the safest.
Your car is one of your biggest financial assets, and it’s important to know some tips and tricks to doing all that you can to keep it safe from car thieves. In addition to taking precautions to prevent your car from being stolen, you should also check to see if your car insurance policy covers you in this unfortunate situation. As always, if you’re in the market for a new auto insurance quote give us a call today!