November 15, 2021
The holidays are a time to gather with family & friends, remind ourselves of what we’re thankful for, and recollect on the past year as we look to the year ahead. However, sometimes holiday celebrations can get away from us. Maybe your Thanksgiving eve with friends got a little out of hand or you had one too many glasses of wine at the dinner table. It can happen to anyone, which is why it’s good to be prepared and plan ahead.
This holiday season, SafeAuto wants you to Play It Safe with our We Got You: Drive Sober. Get Rewarded campaign. From November 17th through December 15th, we are giving away over $35,000 in Uber gift cards and Visa gift cards for the hotel stay of your choice. Every Wednesday 200 winners will be selected to win $25 Uber gift cards and 5 winners will be selected to win $500 Visa gift cards.
The rules to enter are simple:
- Follow SafeAuto on Instagram
- Like the Sober Driving post each Wednesday
- Share the Sober Driving post to your Instagram story
- Comment “Play it safe” on the post
Each weekly giveaway will be open for 24 hours. Winners will be randomly selected. Winning both an Uber and Visa gift card in the same week is prohibited. Additional rules apply*. The campaign and giveaways end on December 16th.
Holiday Drunk Driving Statistics
- Nearly 1/2 of Americans between the ages of 21-34 say they have regretted driving after having too much to drink
- More than 1/3 of Americans between the ages of 21-34 say they would drive without knowing if they were over the legal limit for alcohol
- 4 in 10 Americans between the ages of 21-34 say they are more likely to drive after consuming alcohol over the holidays than at other times of the year
- About 67% of Americans between the ages of 21-34 worry they’ve been a passenger in a vehicle when they’ve known the driver has had too much to drink
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2018 there were 285 drunk driving related fatalities around the Christmas season
- The week of Thanksgiving is one of the busiest driving weeks of the year and Thanksgiving ranks in the top 10 deadliest holidays to drive with almost 1,200 fatal crashes in the last 3 years over the holiday weekend.
Signs of Impaired Driving
Alcohol impairs a driver’s reaction time, vision, concentration, and coordination. These are the signs that someone is driving impaired.
- Quick acceleration or deceleration
- Weaving or zig-zagging across the road
- Driving anywhere other than on a road designated for vehicles
- Almost striking an object, curb, or vehicle
- Stopping without cause or erratic braking
- Drifting in and out of traffic lanes
- Signaling that is inconsistent with driving actions
- Slow response to traffic signals (e.g. sudden stop or delayed start)
- Straddling the center lane marker
- Driving with headlights off at night
- Driving slower than 10 mph below the speed limit
- Turning abruptly or illegally
- Driving into opposing traffic on the wrong side of the road
What to Do If You See a Drunk Driver:
If you suspect that a driver on the road is driving impaired, there are a few steps that you can take.
- Stay as far away as possible. Do not put yourself or your passengers at risk. Do not pass the drunk driver or try to get their attention.
- Try to notice details. Without getting too close, try to make out the make, model, and/or license plate number of the vehicle.
- Call 911. Pull over as soon as possible and call to report the driver. Recall the details of the vehicle and describe your exact location. Give details on which direction the driver is traveling and what actions they did to give you suspicion of impaired driving.
*Must be 18 years old or older to enter. Entries will be deemed made by the authorized Instagram account holder used to submit at time of entry. The “authorized account ho*Must be 18 years old or older to enter. Entries will be deemed made by the authorized Instagram account holder used to submit at time of entry. The “authorized account holder” is deemed to be the natural person who is assigned to a particular Instagram account. A potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry. Limit one (1) entry per person and per e-mail address. The Prize can be redeemed only on Uber accounts and cannot be redeemed against Uber Eats accounts. The Prize is non-transferable and non-refundable. Winning entries will be notified within ten (10) days after entry through a link to the Uber Gift Card in their Instagram Direct Messages and Visa gift cards will be sent electronically to winning entries within ten (10) days. There will only be 1,000 Uber gift cards and 25 Visa gift cards distributed throughout the promotion, if 1,000 Uber Gift Cards and 25 Visa gift cards are distributed any entries after will not be eligible to win. Entrants are not eligible to win more than once. Void in New York, Florida, Puerto Rico and where prohibited. Employees, directors and officers, and their immediate families, of SafeAuto (“Sponsor”) its affiliates, subsidiaries, and divisions advertising and promotion agencies and prize partners are not eligible to enter. The promotion is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws. US law governs this promotion. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, the promotion is void where prohibited. There is no purchase requirement to enter the promotion. Purchases do not improve the chances of winning. Gift Card terms and conditions apply.