Winter is known to be the most treacherous time of year to be on the roads, but Spring isn’t far behind. Once Spring has sprung, the unpredictability of the weather can increase your risk for an accident.
There are various obstacles that can affect your time on the roads, such as; emerging wildlife, various potholes, higher volume of pedestrians, rain and possible flooding, and the need to share the road with bicycles and motorcycles. Although we are at the beginning of a new driving season, it is important to be aware of the obstacles and how to practice safety tips on the road.
From your family at SafeAuto, here is our list of Spring driving safety tips:
- Wildlife: Because the wintry hibernation season is over, animals begin to emerge from hiding and can wander near or onto the roadways. Be conscientious that deer are most active at dawn and dusk.
- Potholes: Winter weather takes a toll on roadways, which leads to there being potholes on the road. Rain can fill these potholes, making it harder for drivers to see where they are on the road. Potholes can do costly damage to your car, so it is important to do your best to avoid them if you can.
- Pedestrian Traffic: As the weather finally begins to bloom, foot traffic near and on the roadways does as well. While driving, it is important to be aware of your speed near neighborhoods and crosswalks as more people will be walking around.
- Rainy Weather: Spring showers can cause slick spots on the road, as well as possible flooding. When driving in the rain, be sure to maintain a safe distance and approach intersections slowly. If there are roads that appear to be flooded, avoid traveling on them as standing water can be tricky to tell if there is deeper water underneath what is visible to you.
- Sharing the Road: With the warmer weather, people become more inclined to share the roads with you on their bicycles or motorcycles. Motorcyclists can weave in and out of your blind spots, and bicyclists can ride up beside you or in front of you rather quickly. Therefore, it is imperative to be vigilant by maintaining a safe distance between yourself and other drivers on the road.
Spring brings different types of driving complications than winter does. If you are in the market and looking to obtain a quote, visit us online today.
We hope that after reviewing these spring safety tips you feel more prepared for your time on the road. While enjoying the spring weather, please enjoy the road ahead!