What Happens If I Get Into a Car Accident Out of State?

One of the worst feelings in the world is getting into a car accident. Well, actually, if you get into a car accident out of state for vacation or businesses, the feeling of getting into an accident in unfamiliar territory can be even worse!

Imagine the following scenario… You are taking your family to an amusement park for a nice getaway over a long weekend. On the drive, everyone is enjoying the iPod selection and a solid food stash in the back seat. After you have entered into another state, you unexpectedly get rear ended on the freeway.

Luckily, everyone in the car is alright. You immediately notice that the driver who hit you has a license plate from a different state. Have you ever wondered what would happen if you got into a car accident in another state?

According to Yahoo!, you will be required by the state in which you are driving to comply with all car insurance requirements for that state, not the state in which you live. Rest assured, car insurance companies have worked this out and you will be ok.

The most important car insurance coverage that this applies to is your liability minimums that are different in almost every state. Say you are traveling from your home where the minimum requirements are 10/20/10 for BIPD (Bodily Injury Property Damage) coverage. You arrive to vacation in a state that requires 25/50/25 coverage and you have an accident with another vehicle. For this accident your liability limits will match the state requirement of 25/50/25. This is not a permanent change, just for the time you are in the state.

Regardless of the state you are driving in, make that you have car insurance coverage! It is illegal to drive without auto insurance and can make the situation of getting into an accident much more complicated, regardless of which state the accident happens in.

Add Comment