What To Do After A Car Accident
Being involved in a car accident can be a very overwhelming experience. There are many things that need to be dealt with soon after the accident occurs. Because being involved in an automobile accident is a very chaotic experience, it’s important to try to handle the situation in the best way possible.
If you’re thinking to yourself, “I had a car accident, now what?,” SafeAuto has the answers for you!
- Don’t leave your car on the road. When you are involved in a car accident, it’s important to get you and your car as far away as possible from traffic. In order to do this as safely as possible, first turn on your hazard lights before exiting your vehicle. If you are involved in an accident with another vehicle, check that the other driver is alright and if they can move their car to the side of the road. Taking these safety precautions will ensure that both of you are coherent and can properly assess the damage to determine the best course of action.
- Discuss a plan with the other driver. If possible, discuss the matter at hand with the other driver first. Regardless of the circumstances, it’s best to not be confrontational – even if the other driver is at fault. Try to keep your cool to not only get the process moving forward, but to also ensure you’re approaching this unexpected occurrence as best as you can.
- Contact your insurance carrier. After you’ve spoken with the other driver and have obtained all the necessary information, call your car insurance provider. The information that is necessary to provide them with is:
- The address of the other driver
- The other driver’s phone number
- The other driver’s insurance company and policy number
- State of license and plate number of the other driver’s car
- The other driver’s car make, model, and year
After you’ve shared this information with your insurance carrier, it’s also highly encouraged to take pictures to document the damage that has incurred from the accident. This is especially important if you are in a severe accident.
- Contact the Police. After you get a feel for the circumstances surrounding the accident between yourself and the other driver, contacting the police is the next step. With regards to all automobile accidents, calling the police should always be a part of the process. By getting the police involved, they not only help determine the severity of the accident, but they also properly document the scene and details of the accident.
- Follow Up. Sometimes car accidents cause unexpected injuries that are not immediately evident. If soon after the car accident you are concerned something may be wrong, it’s imperative to go get looked at. Ignoring a potential injury is serious and could be fatal.
Knowing what to do soon after being involved in a car accident can be confusing. Although it can be a very chaotic experience, knowing the steps you can take to best handle the aftermath from it will make the process go smoother.
We hope these tips will be help you enjoy the road ahead. As always, if you are in the market for an auto insurance quote, don’t hesitate to check out your family and friends at SafeAuto!