October 12, 2021
Car accidents can be scary and unpredictable. Although accidents aren’t something we want to think about, knowing what to do afterwards can help make a difficult situation easier.
To be prepared, the Insurance Information Institute (III) has laid out a guide on how to handle the aftermath of an accident.
Following an accident, immediately:
- Pull over. If possible, pull your car over to a safe space, such as the shoulder of the road or a parking lot. If you think you may have been hit due to a carjacking, be extra careful when pulling over your vehicle. If your car is unsafe to drive, turn on your hazard lights and exit the vehicle.
- Assess possible injuries. Check yourself and any passenger in the car for injuries. If anyone is hurt, call 911.
- Call the police. No matter how intense the damage of the vehicle, in most states it is legally required to report the incident to the police. When filing a claim to the insurance company, they will most likely ask for the incident report.
- Exchange information. While you are waiting for help to arrive, exchange contact information with the other driver. A list of information that’s most important to exchange is:
- Full name and contact information
- Insurance company and policy number
- Driver’s license and license plate number
- Type, color and model of vehicle
It is recommended to not discuss who is at fault for the accident. The adjuster reviewing your claim will decide who is at fault.
- Document the accident. Take pictures of the car and take down the names of any officers or witnesses who were at the scene.
- Take a Breath. Do not overwhelm yourself, accidents happen. If you are not injured and remain at the scene of the accident, you may be asked to write a statement about what occurred to provide to the police. Accidents happen quickly and you want to ensure you provide the authorities with all of the details. Stop and take a breath. Collect your thoughts.
- Start the claims process. SafeAuto insurance is available 24/7. You can call 1-800-SAFEAUTO while at the scene of any accident to see what you need to do to start your claims process. To get insured with us visit safeauto.com