Where Are the Most Dangerous Intersections In Columbus, Ohio?
Each year, hundreds of people lose their lives in crashes on Ohio’s roadways. Thousands more suffer injuries, vehicle and wage loss, and other traumas as a direct result of collisions. When it comes to transportation safety in Columbus, understanding where dangerous roadways and intersections are is critical to both your safety and the safety of everyone who shares the road.
Whether you’re from out of town or a local, if you’re wondering if Columbus Ohio safe to drive in, here are the places you may way to travel with caution according to the Top 100 Regional High-Crash Intersections report.
10 most dangerous intersections in Columbus, Ohio
Help the drivers you love prepare for the unexpected and mitigate some of the risk associated with driving by spreading the word: always stay alert when behind the wheel and use extra caution as you approach these dangerous intersections when driving in Columbus, Ohio.
- Dublin Granville Road / State Route 161 @ Maple Canyon Drive
- Broad Street / State Route 16 @ James Road
- E Livingston Avenue @ Hamilton Road / State Route 317
- Morse Road @ Karl Road
- Hilliard Rome Road @ Renner Road
- Frank Road / State Route 104 / Refugee Road
- Cleveland Avenue @ Dublin Granville Road / State Route 161
- Broad Street / State Route 16 @ Lancaster Avenue / Reynoldsburg-New Albany Road
- E Livingston Avenue @ Brice Road
- Cleveland Avenue @ Innis Road
Over a period of three years (2015-2017), these intersections accounted for 1,596 crashes in the Columbus area. When it comes to Columbus, Ohio driving, make a mental note to pay extra attention and double and triple check as you approach these intersections.
Drive with caution
When you’re approaching an area, you know may pose a higher risk than usual to your drive, it helps to know what to do. Prepare for cross-city trips with a few quick defensive driving tips.
1. Minimize distractions – Before you get in the car, turn your phone alerts off. Consider turning the radio down and quieting any rowdy passengers before you enter the intersection.
2. Be alert – Pay close attention to the flow of traffic, scanning the intersection for stray cars, pedestrians, or other hazards as you approach and make your way through.
3. Watch your speed – Do not speed up as you drive through an intersection. Instead, carefully monitor your speed as your approach, giving yourself plenty of time to react and slow down or stop should the need arise.
The bottom line.
As drivers, we are all responsible for staying alert when we are behind the wheel. Distracted driving is a danger to everyone on the road and can increase the chance of a collision occurring, especially at intersections that have low visibility. Before you hit Columbus’s roads, make sure you are equipped with the right knowledge (and Columbus car insurance) you need to protect the people and car you love.